Friday, April 9, 2010

I will wed Peggy, says Charles



April 9, 1928

Prince Charles Philippe, Duke de Nemours, told the Associated Press today that his uncle, King Albert of the Belgians does not oppose his marriage to Marguerite "Peggy" Watson. He is denying reports in Paris that denied the engagement, he said is going ahead with his plan to marry. He said that if his mother, the Duchess of Vendome, had asked her brother, King Albert, to prevent the wedding, he had "never heard of it."

"The king is a level-headed man and has lots of common sense," Prince Charles Philippe said. "He knows it was love at first and he knows that I am of age, too, that I have a mind of my own and as far as I know he has not the slighted objection to the match.

"My mother originally opposed my marriage to Miss Watson because I was too young. Perhaps I was too young when I first met her in Paris. That was four years ago. But I am of an age now and know my own mind very well.

"Oh yes! Yes, indeed, my family controls the purse strings, but that won't stop me from marrying the girl of my choice. Haven't I the whole world in front of me? I am strong, healthy. Can't I go out and my own living -- a living for the both of us."

The prince is an aviation enthusiast, but "when it comes down to brass tacks," he would like to own a sheep ranch. He has not yet visited the Rhode Island home of Miss Watson's family, but he has met her parents. The Watsons do not have great wealth.

"Miss Watson, too, is fond of outdoor life, and we may settle in South Africa. I spent some time in Canada, seeking a ranch, but did not find one to my liking. So now, perhaps on my honeymoon, I plan to go to South Africa.

"This is a case of love and not a titled young man marrying the daughter of a millionaire American. The Watsons," he said, "are comfortably fixed perhaps -- as a matter of fact I know nothing about their finances - but I feel certain they are as rich as riches go in America."

The Duke de Nemours will be going to Paris tomorrow to see his parents, and have a "heart-to-heart talk" with his mother about his marriage.



No comments: